Friday, May 25, 2012

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Nintendo DS) Review


So why a Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer review at the end of May? Well my girlfriend bought it at Gamestop, and finished it in 2 days so I thought it'd be worth a laugh to check it out for myself. I've seen the game on the shelves since it came out in 2010, and I always wondered if it was shovelware (i.e. terrible games made intentionally low-quality) or a decent attempt to make a real game based on my favorite Christmas tale? Well it's kinda neither...


The game isn't really a game, it's more like an interactive storybook. You go through story-mode and it gives you little mini-games that relate to the movie. It can be simple races, match games, simon sez, coloring, and a couple more. They're mildly amusing at first, but they get old pretty fast.


I finished story mode in about half an hour, and while they have a few bonus modes it really is a very short game. Admittedly I am an adult, and can easily figure out these simple puzzles and tests that the games throws in my way. I'd guess it'd take a kid maybe 2 or 3 hours to play through it at least once.


As a DS game, Rudolph's virtual outing is a complete failure, but as a interactive storybook it's not that bad. Since you can find it now for next to nothing, it may not be the worst idea as a little stocking stuffer for your children this Christmas. However for anyone else, you have to be the biggest Rudolph fan in the world before I could recommend it. So my score below reflects it's value as a game, not as an interactive storybook.

Score: 2 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment