Sunday, October 28, 2012

My New Betta Fish

Daisy got a new fish the other day as her parents got it from some relative. So I decided to get my own fish tank. I actually learned a lot about fish care within 2 days, and I was astonished to find out that the only fish (or almost the only fish) that can live in a small tank is the Betta fish. So that's what I got.
 It's not a bad tank I suppose. It's got a light, and came with a few things like those fake plants. I hear Bettas are fragile to decorations, so I avoided anything that wasn't Betta approved. 
 My girlfriend Daisy had fun helping me put things together. 
 But I had to get a water-heater since bettas are actually tropical fish (native to Thailand), but it wasn't too expensive. It's on the right-side of the tank. 
 I also got a log for the betta fish. I hear it's better they have something to play in, and hide when they feel scared. It was betta-approved in the beta section, so it felt right. 
 But I got a female crowntail, and her name is Yuki. One thing most people don't know about fish is that they can't just jump from water to the next. You have to put their "old water" in the "new water" to transition safely. 
 But Yuki seemed really happy to be in her new tank, especially after being in that cramped cup from the pet-store. It was fascinating to watch her eat her betta-food. She's not very quick getting the pellets before they sink down, and it takes her two bites to finish. But she's my first fish, so I'm sure she'll get the hang of it. I wonder if she'll get bigger. 

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations and good luck! Bettas can be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, she even has her little house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed! Lovely photo, Adam. I used to work in a pet supply store years back. Betta fish are solitary, as they are also called Siamese Fighting fish. I am sure you can see what they are solitary. Enjoy! If you put your finger on the exterior tank and slide it across, the fish will follow. That has been my experience, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your beta. Great colour:) We used to have one that we kept in a Walstad planted tank and he lasted quite awhile too:)
    Good luck with your fishkeeping. It's addicting once you start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops...I thought for a moment that that the betta was the colour of the log:P Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new pet. That is one I'm sure your dog will always get along with haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why betta fish ? Why not alpha fish ? But seriously, cool fish, and good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if she does get better how will you know?

    ReplyDelete