Thursday, October 4, 2012

Obama vs. Romney: First Debate

 Yesterday, the presidential candidates Barack Obama, and Mitt Romney took the stage to discuss domestic issues. For a time of such bitter politics, it was rather odd to see the debate be rather mild and polite. Despite a major hiccup via Xbox Live (which allowed me to watch the debate live) I watched nearly all of the debate once I switched over to South Carolina's ETV network. I have to say I enjoyed watching it, but was a tad disappointing that both Obama and Romney held back.
 But I think the President did a wonderful job defending his role on the economy, and the national debt. I knew he wouldn't throw out the 47% remark that Mitt Romney made, and I don't even think he made an innuendo or joked about it. I really wished he pressed Mitt Romney harder on Romneycare, the basis for Obama's Health Care Reform. I also felt he could of been tougher on Romney's plan to drastically change Medicare for the worse. 
 But I'll give Romney credit that he was well prepared and rehearsed for this debate. He posed himself to be a Jefferson-like state's rights advocate, but made a poor case about trying to reduce the deficit by refusing to lower taxes on the rich and not denying the support of massive spending increases for military spending that the Pentagon isn't even asking for. I can see he was really trying not to make a gaffe, as he quickly turned a comment about "poor people" into "lower-incomes". He did make a semi-serious comment about shutting down PBS right in-front of the moderator who works for PBS. But hey he loves Big Bird though. 
Overall I don't think any candidate made a difference for the election so far during the debate. A rather neutral outcome, but I feel that Obama will have the edge when it comes to foreign policy debate. Romney should be careful because I'm sure he'll attack Obama over the recent events in Libya that could easily back-fire. Next week is suppose to have a debate between Vice President Joe Biden, and Romney's running-mate Paul Ryan so I'm actually intrigued to see how that turns out since Biden and Ryan are not exactly like their respected partners in various ways. 

9 comments:

  1. Loving the new look of the blog. And I chose to watch Dirty Dancing instead of the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here in Europe all channels report that Obama lost the debate and was confused and weak. They're both the same evil for me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nie będę się wypowiadała na temat debaty, bo jej nie widziałam i nie ja będę wybierała Prezydenta. Dziękuje za miłą wizytę. Mój syn też ma na imię Adam :). Pozdrawiam.
    I will not debate spoke about, because I have not seen it and I will chose the President. Thank you for your kind visit. My son's name is Adam :). Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it difficult to see a political system where there are only two big parties. In our country there are about ten.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review of the debate...I'm wondering if my kids even watched them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I heard Obama lost as well, never watched it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't watch it, but I am in Montreal, Canada. I usually don't watch debates because they tend to get ugly. Well, they do here in Quebec, I can guarantee that. :) Thanks for sharing this, Adam, you have written a very good post here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish he would have brought up the 47%, or the fact that Romney is outraged that people with no insurance and no money can go to the ER and get cared for. The guy hates the average person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was disappointed in how wordy obama's speeches were. i was like, remember we americans aren't all that intelligent. we have ADD attention spans. we need it short, sweet and to the point, like a commercial slogan. then obama had his head down while romney was talking. i was like wtf is up with that? i know he was probably disagreeing, or writing down the points, but it appeared rude. romney seemed pretty aggressive to me. whereas obama. i think the american people want to see him more aggressive. i felt like most of things out of romney's mouth were contradictions to what i know of his policies. i was like how can you do this, and that, when they are completely opposites? can you do and be both things?

    ReplyDelete