Sunday, March 31, 2013

Brave (2012 Film) Review

 When it comes to animated films, Pixar is king. However when Brave came out last year, I wanted to go see it but never got around to it. Got the chance to watch it last night, and I have to say I can't believe I waited almost a year.
 Brave's story is about Princess Merdia, who is now growing up. She never liked her role as princess very much, and she especially loathes the way her mother treats her.  Ever since childhood, Merida has been more warrior-like taking after her father; however her mother wants her to be a proper lady like herself. 
 What sets chaos in motion is when her mother arranges for the sons of the lords to compete for Merida's hand in marriage. The young maiden uses the wording of a royal rules to win the contest. The breakage of tradition infuriates her mother, and Merida flees from the castle in anger. In the forest she meets a witch who gives her a spell to "change" her mother. However Merida doesn't expect the change to take a disastrous effect which she must now attempt to reverse. 
Brave may not have the greatest cast of characters, or the most intimidating antagonist, but I do think it's a terrific tale. I thought the mother-daughter bond was very moving, and the ending was excellent.  I can see why some people claimed to be disappointed by the movie, but despite it's faults I do think it's one of the best Pixar films to date. 

12 comments:

  1. Yeah Pixar does make good ones, this one I haven't seen yet, although every one of their movies rips off another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Brave and thought the story was really sweet. I did like Merida's wilfulness and the Mother-Daughter bond throughout. Thanks for the nice comment! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aun no la he visto!
    Saludos
    http://judithbysucre.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wholeheartedly agree. This is one of my fave Pixar movies, and my daughter loves it too:) Merida is a great heroine IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids LOVE this....I haven't seen it yet, as it has been a Redbox rental while I am driving!...I think we are going to take the plunge and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did see this one because I liked the feisty concept of it. Can't remember if it lived up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pixar's has the best movies and this was great too, rho i haven't watched it yet

    ReplyDelete
  9. We loved Brave! I took my girls to see it when it was in the theater, then we bought it when it came out. I loved that they finally made a story, based on a Princess, who, for once, didn't need a prince to come to her rescue! About time they did that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're the 2nd person i've read online that likes this movie. i'm glad it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Brave but my toddler found it a little scary, guess I should have watched it first without her. You're right, Disney Pixar puts out great animated movies! :) Danica

    ReplyDelete