Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Hummingbird Feeder

 While I'm not exactly in a great spot for a wonderful selection of bird sightings, I regret that I've never seen a hummingbird in person. So I decided to get a feeder to increase my chances of seeing one with my own eyes.
I got a rather simple one. Even though hummingbirds are suppose to be in the area, I wanted to test the waters before I went overboard.  
 I also got the nectar but the one that you have to mix with water. How hard could it be?
 Well not really difficult at all. Rather simple. 
 As soon as you mix the nectar it instantly turns red. 
 And is ready to set-up in a minute.
Sadly I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet and it's been at least a month. I thought it was working as the nectar slowly disappeared, but I think the reason was due to evaporation, and today I noticed ants have been getting into it as well. I got two more so hopefully one day they'll have lunch. 

15 comments:

  1. oh I hope this works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried flowers that they like as well? I had a friend once who grew her garden for the birds and it worked. Though I cannot recall what was in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grate inspiration for me!
    http://afinaskaterblogspotcom.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Certain areas the hummingbirds migrate to more than others. I have had any number of feeders, but all I got was ants. My sister that lives in Mississippi has them by droves. She has many feeders up and they cover them. Thanks for taking your time to visit this old blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Special such a nectar mix

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully they come around one day soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be patient. Eventually they'll find the feeder. Add an ant moat to control the ants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those things are great, I have one in my patio and we've seen two at the same time on it! :) Be patient, they will come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that seems delightful, I usually leave bread crumbs to birds in my yard

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's cool never heard of such stuff, perhaps because we don't have such bird here ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you see one soon! I've only seen one in person once. It was really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's a bummer you haven't seen any hummingbirds. they are really tiny, but i bet you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete