Sunday, May 26, 2013

Superman (1978 Film) Review

 With the newest Superman film Man of Steel about hit theaters, I thought I'd watch the older Superman films. I had seen them as a child, but it's been so long I forgot most of the moments and the plot. So it's almost like seeing a brand-new adventure for me.
 Since it was the first major Superman film, this one obviously establishes the origins story. It starts out with Superman's father Jor-El on Krypton pleading with officials there that their home planet will soon explode. Even though he is correct about his prediction, he fails to convince everyone else and sends his only son to Earth at the last minute. The boy Kal-El is raised by human parents who give him the name Clark Kent. When Clark becomes a man he discovers his history, and the spirit of Jor-El convinces him to use his powers to help those on Earth. 
 At the same time Superman becomes famous, evil mastermind Lex Luthor is busy at work trying to become more powerful. When he notices Superman, he knows he may very well be able to stop him no matter the moment. So he takes initiative to seek Superman out and challenge him with plenty of traps to weaken the Man of Steel. 
While some of the special effects (like the flying scenes) are obviously outdated, I really did like the original Superman film. I wished Superman showed off a few more powers than just flight and super-strength though. I thought his role as Clark Kent and his relationship with Lois Lane as both Kent and Superman was well-done. I thought the star of the show was Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor who adds comical brilliance to the character of the legendary super-villain. Needless to say I will be watching Superman II very soon. 

12 comments:

  1. Love it!
    Plus Marlon Brando was there and Christopher Reeve was still Superman then who for me is still the best Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The originals were great. They set a standard for super hero movies that the current generation just can't match.
    Here's hoping the new film is just as amazing as the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah thy weren't bad and Hackman did steal the show, still hate Superman though

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were great movies for the time, at least the first two

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first Superman was very good. Superman II had some great villains. Coincidentally, General Zod and his cohorts (who'll be seen in the Man of Steel, as you know) were in it ("Kneel to Zod.") But, the whole goofy love interest thing between Supes and Lois Lane sucked and dragged the movie down. When you see it, you'll know what I mean.
    Superman III and IV? BLECH!!!!
    The Brandon Roush Superman? Ick. Didn't like it a bit.
    But, the trailer for the Man of Steel look fantastic and I am so gonna get my geek on when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a classic. I just get kinda sad seeing Christopher Reeves, given his (and his wife's) fate. He was a true life hero.

    PS It's good to be back.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. tho the effects sucks back then, i kinda like old superman movies

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a Superman movie. I did like the tv show with Terry Hatcher and Dean Cain though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a Superman movie yet :<

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah watching the special effects then are like a joke.

    ReplyDelete