Friday, July 5, 2013

Man of Steel (2013 Film) Review

While Superman is not exactly my favorite superhero, I have watched most of the feature-films and animated movies featuring the Man of Steel himself.  Man of Steel re-starts the whole story over again (unlike Superman Returns), and takes it's own style that's much different than the Christopher Reeve films.
 The film starts out with several flashbacks about Clark Kent's life. Including his birth on his home-world (which he'll later learn about) Krypton which was destroyed after the planet's core was unstable. It also shows Clark's early life and personal struggles trying to cope with his abilities and trying to fit in with society. As a young man he is rather lost with no sense of purpose, and rarely uses his powers (even in a time of need) as his adoptive father feared that Earth was not ready to learn about Clark's true origin. 
 The film's antagonist is the ruthless Kryptonian General Zod who was sentenced to the Phantom Zone after trying to overthrow its government. When Krypton was no more, Zod broke free from the Phantom Zone but is now on a hunt for the son of Kal-El (Superman) whose father Jor-El gave his newborn son a device that could build a new Krypton. When General Zod arrives on Earth, he tries to befriend Superman, but the Man of Steel refuses after learning that General Zod plans to destroy the entire human race to make way for the new Krypton. Superman then realizes his purpose is to save the world, but his first challenge is immense as Zod and his crew all have strength that rivals Superman's. 
I originally feared that Man of Steel would be disappointing after hearing mixed reviews from fans and critics. But I ended up loving it, and I personally think it's the best Superman film to date. One of the problems I've always had with Superman stories is that both the heroes and villains are rather vanilla and tame. The new film is darker, and doesn't hold back. I will have to say the final battle had too much action, but overall I can't wait for the sequel.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was good, herd the final battle went on waay to long too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of this genre but it sounds good.

    Style Without Limits
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...good to know the film has lived up to the hype. I love Superman but not a big Henry Cavill fan, ...I might see this one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the first movie I've ever seen Cavill in (I think) but I liked him.

      Delete
  5. I LOVED this movie so much. For the first time, they were able to approach this from a very realistic view: alien invasion. It was great. Special effects, acting. One of my top movies of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was Superman the First SuperHero on BigScreen Cinemas ? But today, so many SuperHeros on Movies due to special effects capabilities; quite amazing how time progress with new possibilities on the BigScreen ! Have a fun weekend, Adam !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna see this movie Adam, thanks by the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review, I enjoyed it but felt it could have been tied together more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were spot on with your review. I went to see the movie and like you after reading the negatives was surprised how very much I enjoyed it.
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  10. two words, THE BeST! i never really liked superman before this,
    thumbs up for the fighting scenes and the actors most especially the guy who played commander zodd

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about this movie...with the majority saying "skip it" and wait to watch it on DVD. This was by far the most concise review thus far.

    Dwayne Johnston (Limo in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete