Saturday, August 24, 2013

Fact of the Day: Taikun

While tycoon in English usually refers to legendary businessmen like Howard Hughes or Bill Gates, the word was taken from Japan. In Japan 大君 (Taikun) was a title meaning "great lord" that referred to the supreme military general and ruler known as the Shogun. The word was brought back to the United States, and one of the first people to receive the nickname was President Abraham Lincoln by his aides John Hay and John Nicolay. 

Thanks to Kay and her mom for letting me know this one!

21 comments:

  1. Yes I learned this from Kay too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool, Adam. I love how you did this post! Thank you for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I didn't know this, nice one Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no diea!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    P.S.: Thanks for your words on my last post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well that perhaps is the reason why legendary business man
    were clled taikun

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really interesting. Thank you , Adam for teaching us. Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know this. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. I like the Japanese word 'Taikun' better than the English 'Tycoon'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well they are pronounced the same

      Delete
  9. wow tat so cool !
    Nice interesting post !
    Nice to meet you From Singapore What a beauty Country u are in!
    Do Drop by and Follow Me On GFC

    Dressabelleballerina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Japan is a mistery. Just saw the movie Hachi of the loyalty of an Akita. Was strange and interesting.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really curious ^__^

    Thanx for sharing this.


    Have a lovely weekend,

    Nicole

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing, have a nice weekend :)

    Erz

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter was learning to write and send me a note. It said "I like you. You get me fied tieken." Which translates to Fried Chicken. Not far off from Taikun I suppose ;)

    ReplyDelete