Wednesday, December 25, 2013

What Christmas Means to Me

 Looking back now at many Christmases ago, times sure do change. My first couple of Christmases were so magical and some of the best memories. They were better than birthdays, and it was the best time of the year. Though after middle school is when they change for the most part.
 I remember every morning though, my brothers and I would get up as early as we could to see all the stuff "Santa" had left us. As I got a bit older, I did feel rather sad when I realized after getting all my presents that it would be another year until I'd get to do it all over again. When you're a kid, it really is all about the presents. 
 Though on Christmas Eve we'd usually have a our family gathering on my maternal side. It was one of the few times of year we'd get to visit my favorite cousins Justin and Morgan. We'd get a lot of presents sure (my favorites were the Hess Trucks from my grandma), but these were some of my favorite moments. My cousins are younger than me, and I do remember feeling a little bitter when the stack of presents dwindled down to a few envelopes. Even though we could get what we wanted, it did take away the fun of a surprise. 
 Though now I enjoy Christmas not for the few things I get every year but to see my adorable nephews and nieces enjoy their first Christmases. It wasn't long ago when it was just Mr. K, but now he's got 2 cousins (on my side anyway) and a brother to enjoy the holidays with. 
Being agnostic, I no longer celebrate Christmas for religious reasons (though looking back our Christmases were very secular), though I'd like to point out that Christian or not Christmas is a part of our culture. A day to spend time with our family and friends, and spread joy in our own ways. Christmas means something different to each of us, though I always regret hearing stories of folks (for whatever reason) who have bitter feelings towards the holidays. Remember that some people miss special moments due to work (even on the actual day), and we must cherish the moments and make them our memories. 

13 comments:

  1. I too think it's silly when people get upset over Christmas. Many people (including myself) just use it as an excuse to see family, cook a nice meal, and exchange presents - what's the harm in that? Merry Christmas, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me Christmas is always a special time.Spirit is always there. Nice pictures. Kisses, Adam:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Adam! And you're right, you don't need to be a believing or practising Christian to benefit from the Christmas message and holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, people who get upset over it need to get a life. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your Christmasses;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and thoughtful post, Adam. Christmas greetings to you, Daisy, and family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe this is really lovely and sweet :) happy holidays! <3


    Btw I went ahead and liked your Facebook page! Hope you could do the same and like mine back too :) I'd really appreciate it!

    GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    LIKE MY BLOG ON FACEBOOK :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely post, Adam:) And I so agree about cherishing the time we have with family and friends. My husband works on some holidays, and it's super hard when an important part of the family is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family is agnostic also, but Christmas is huge with us. Like you, we see it as a time to spend cherishing the time we have with family.

    Merry Christmas to you Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely said. The celebration of Christmas changes as we get older but it changes in good ways as we transfer our sense of love and wonder to the next generation. Take care and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what Christmas is all about. You said it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete