Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fact of the Day: Unitarian

While Joseph Priestly contributed to science, he also had rather progressive thinking in theology. While not in the first in Europe to have the idea, he was the founder of the Unitarian church in England. While modern Unitarian (and American Unitarian-Universliast) thought differs more than a bit, its original main drift from traditional Christian thought is the belief of God as one being instead of the Holy Trinity of God as three beings. Famous Unitarians (though some never officially joined the church) include poet Ralph Waldo Emerson, scientist Issac Newton, and presidents John Adams, John Quincy Adams, William Howard Taft, Millard Fillmore, and Thomas Jefferson. 

17 comments:

  1. Another interesting fact, Adam!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^= <3


    ReplyDelete
  2. Something else I wasn't aware of. Have a great day, Adam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he even mentions Millard Fillmore (as did I).
      NOTE: A shameless ploy to get you to visit Penwasser Place.
      I'm so ashamed.

      Delete
  3. This is definitely along my line of thinking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining, never knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Millard Fillmore!!! Nicely done.
    I find a lot of truth in this. Although I'm not rejecting the concept of a Trinity, the cynic in me believes the concept of three Gods in one was a way to help a people comfortable with polytheism accept the Catholic Church (as you know, the early church WAS Catholic. Jesus got a pass I think. But he had to know how to play Bingo).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denying the divinity of Christ was dangerous in those days. Priestly is a hero of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I don't know many things about Unitarian Church. Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if it makes a difference to them...

    Have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always find it special how they covered their hair.

    Greetings,
    Fliip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh very interesting~
    comment to me back to keep in touch!
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered about the Unitarian church. I thought they combined all the religions, but I guess not, hunh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the modern UU church does kinda. A collection of many faiths and thinkers.

      Delete