Sunday, February 9, 2014

Things I Hate: Sonic Unleashed (PS3)

 My local library has a video game section, and they had Sonic Unleashed. While Sonic hasn't had many great games since the Sega Genesis days, nostalgia for Sonic still gives me the motivation to give his new adventures a try. I wasn't too sure I would like Sonic Unleashed and I was right.
 I will say the opening cinematic looked beautiful. Though Eggman (also known as Dr. Robotnik) has some weird plan where the whole globe is transformed dramatically. And Sonic also becomes a werewolf. Why? That's what I'm wondering.   
 While the game sorta reminds me of Sonic Adventure, you also have areas where you have to find the path to the next stage. Except this one has a lot places where you need to talk to random characters. I may have tolerated this in the early 2000s but this is beyond boring. 
 Since Sonic is normal during the day and a werewolf (or should I say werehedgehog?) at night there are two kinds of levels. Normal Sonic has levels pretty similar to Sonic Adventure with fast-running and rings. Except he moves too fast and the control is far from perfect. 
His werewolf levels are much slower with Sonic using brute strength to battle enemies. It's rather funny to see Sonic take out giant robots in a single hit as his normal-self, but it takes many more when he's a werewolf. I didn't get very far into it before I got bored and lost interest. 

3 comments: