Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Semi-Funny Story: My First and Only Pool Jump

I played baseball in a little league for many years, and typically we'd have a after-season pool party to celebrate. When I was about seven, we had one at residential pool with a deep end and diving board. I truly underestimated how far the water went. However seeing my friends having fun jumping in the water I guess got me somewhat close to dying. Without really knowing how to swim, I jumped right into the water, and landed feet first at the bottom. I stared up at the sunlight and swam to the top. It was only after I got my first breath of air that reality sunk in and panic was a problem. Luckily one of the coaches acted like a lifeguard and saved me mere seconds after I screamed for help. 

13 comments:

  1. Sounds scary. David Hockney painted a famous painting called Splash, and it closely resembles this photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your panic of water. I have never come close to drowning, but have a fear of water. In fact, I have never had a bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learned a lesson that day, things aren't always as fun as they look

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did just about the same thing once when I was about 13...a friend and I decided we could jump off the high diving board and did, one right after the other. Both of us went to the very bottom and when we came up, I was laughing so hard, I nearly drown. I have no fear of water at all....now, tho, being "the age that I am", my fear is ever having to put on a swim suit...hahhaaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats something you obviously will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And repeated many times by others who are viewing it ! ... J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, this brings back my own memory of nearly drowning in neighbor's pool! Thank goodness for quicker thinker and even faster reaction time on the owner throwing in the pole that saved me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. scary, glad you lived to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had the presence of mind to swim upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness it all turned out okay. That's one very scary experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That must have been really scary for you. We went to a wave pool when I was little and they had to stop them because the lifeguard had to come rescue me from drowning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary ! Water can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete