Monday, September 22, 2014

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989 Film) Review

 I had heard of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for many years. But since I was born in 1988, I obviously never saw it in theaters. While it seems like a silly comedy that is always shunned by critics, it actually did fairly well. Though I also wanted to see it because George Carlin was in it as well.
 The story begins as two friends Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan are set out to fail their history class. They need to have a superb project at the end of the semester or there's no hope. Just when they've given up, a phone booth falls from the sky. A man from the future named Rufus tells them that will go on to do great things. But if they fail their history class, then it can never happen. As Ted for one will be sent to military school. 
 Rufus gives them the time traveling machine to meet some of the greatest people in history in person. They'll meet Socrates, Billy the Kid, Abraham Lincoln, and quite a bit of others.Though they have to get them all to work together if they want to pass their history report.  
Overall I can certainly see why Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is still fondly remembered as a comedic classic. Most comedies of a similar tone usually are panned by critics, but it's a smart version of a silly comedy. I will eventually see the sequel Bogus Journey, but I hear it isn't as good. 

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyed it with our son when he was nine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been awhile since I've seen this movie though I did notice it popped up on NetFlix recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie is the #1 reason I could never take Keanu Reeves seriously as an actor. No matter what role he was playing, I still saw him as that idiot surfer guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the fact that he always speaks like a surfer, even when playing an Elizabethan character or a samurai, doesn't help much :))

      Delete
  4. I did see this one in the theater and remember loving it. The second one really wasn't very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen that one... I skipped a lot of 80's buddy comedies....

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is one of the funniest movies of my childhood
    I still love it, now I feel the need to watch it again

    ReplyDelete