Monday, October 13, 2014

Game of Thrones (TV Series) Season 1 Review

You almost have to be living under a rock to have never heard of Game of Thrones. It's faithfully based on George R.R. Martin's novel series A Song of Ice and Fire, taking the name from its first book A Game of Thrones. While I never read the books, I'm glad they have something like this rather than a movie since the novel apparently was a long-read. I heard nothing but good things about Game of Thrones, and the other reason I wanted to see it was because I have a bit of a crush on Emilia Clarke as her character Daenerys Targaryen.
The story is set in the fictional continent of Westeros, where seven former kingdoms are now ruled by one monarch. The current one being King Robert I, who travels to the frozen lands of Winterfell to see his old friend Eddard Stark to ask for help. Stark agrees to become his number one servant in royal matters, and leaves Winterfell. The most concerning for Robert is the last remaining members of House Targaryen allying with a fierce army in the east to take back the throne after almost two decades. 
But Eddard Stark's greatest threat is no Targaryen, or even the Dothraki army. But the royal House Lannister, who King Robert is in-laws with. Robert's son Joffrey becomes engaged to Eddard's daughter Sansa, but after a childish fight things crumble between both families. Something that could be fixed by Robert and Eddard's brotherly friendship, except the Lannister's have many secrets and are more than determined about keeping it along with their power. But regardless of royal politics, an ancient force of undead creatures awaken in the north, and may be the greatest concern for the safety of Westeros.
I knew I would like Game of Thrones, but it's hard to believe someone can come up with a story so awesome. I'm sort of glad I waited a few years to see it, as I can see the next part of the story without a year-long wait. Apparently the novel series isn't even over with two books to go, and all I can say is that I would be extremely disappointed if this tale never finishes. I will also say Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, and Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen were my favorite characters.

17 comments:

  1. Awesome story! Lucy www.tpinkcarpet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must discover this serie ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review, Adam:D I'm on the 5th book of the series, which is kinda included in last season already. Apparently, GRRM already told the producers the ending, in case anything happens to him before the books are published....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told that there will be a sixth and seventh book.

      Delete
  4. Awesome show indeed, the only issue as it goes further is there are like 100 characters and you can only explore so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the books, each character has almost a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter (i.e., something will happen to Tyrion, but off we go to a story about Arya). The books have really been page-turners.

      Delete
  5. A couple years ago, my sister-in-law gave me the first book as a Christmas present. It sat on my bookshelf until this spring when my son said I would really like it. I was skeptical (not a big fantasy fan), but I decided to give it a whirl. Holy moley, did I become hooked! I'm now about 200 pages from the end of the fifth book and have relished every bit of it. I have also seen the first three seasons on DVD and am waiting until the 4th comes out. I'm very happy that the books and series pretty much jive (not completely, but both versions are fantastic).
    I agree with your favorites, but I must say the BIGGEST shock came at the end of Season One.
    Ned Stark. No need to say more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't think of missing a single episode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great series. I am waiting for the latest one on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first two and gave up on the third. Wonderfully written, but the story just grew grimmer and grimmer and grimmer. I couldn't find any happy at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was planning on watching the series shortly, but I think I may have to read the books first. They sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite possibly the greatest television show ever made. The acting, directing, and writing are all top-notch. Simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I cant wait !


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your review, Adam! I really love "Games of Thrones," the book and TV series. The TV series has an amazing cast! Sean Bean is certainly one of my favorite actors, although I will always think of him first as LOTR's Boromir. My husband likes Daenerys too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Adam...you won't be shocked to learn this olden woman must live under that ROCK...or else we don;t get it here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched a couple of episodes of this and just couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I binged watch the whole series back in June... Now im reading the books. I made it to "A Feast for crows.. " which im currenty reading.

    ReplyDelete