Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Fact of the Day: Sargon Moses

In 2334 BC, Sargon I ruled Mesopotamia despite being born a commoner and also a servant to the previous king. After he died a lot of his life became more mythology than reality. Legend says he was the secret child of a priestess who placed her baby (Sargon) in a basket in the river where he was later found. The similarity between stories led many to believe that the birth legend of Sargon inspired part of the Biblical story of Moses.  

13 comments:

  1. Interesting. Who really knows where all these old stories came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say...sounds familiar!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really interesting. I'm almost an archaeologist but I'm not studying near east history so everything is new to me (except Egypt history).
    I should so some research on this fact
    Have a fun nye and a happy 2015

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this. Very similar to Moses/ story indeed.
    Anyhoo, just wanna wish you and Daisy a wonderful New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mesopotamian history is always interesting, but very complex too and the history of the region as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this!

    I wish you the best wishes for 2015!

    xoxo
    Dascha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another reason to never take the Bible literally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always have to make the stories sound better

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very interesting. I've never heard this one before. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's always reincarnation and the purposes behind that - get it right this time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder why the priestess had to get rid of her baby. Did she need to remain a virgin? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete