Thursday, January 1, 2015

My 2014 Favorites

2014 wasn't a bad year for me personally, but here are my favorite things for last year.
Favorite TV Show: Game of Thrones
This time of last year, I had long-heard of Game of Thrones, but I honestly never expected it to be as good as I had heard. Now I'm a huge fan of the series. It has great stories, awesome characters, and unpredictable moments. 

Runner Up: Sherlock 
Like Game of Thrones, Sherlock was something I hadn't seen until it was at least three seasons already over. It's classic Sherlock stories with a twist set in the modern world. Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant as Sherlock Holmes. 

Favorite New Movie: Captain America: The Winter Soldier 
I would say the second phase of the Avenger movies haven't been as good as the first. Except The Winter Solider, which I would say is almost as good as The Avengers. While I knew the secret of the main villain, it still had a lot of moments I never expected. 

Runner Up: X-Men: Days of Future Past
For the latest movie for Marvel's other favorite superheroes, they decided to base this one off a critically-acclaimed story-line from the 1980's. I wouldn't say it's the best in the series, but I really liked it. Especially as it fixed what "creative minds" got wrong with the third movie. 

Favorite Old Movie: Frozen
Sure Frozen isn't that old, but since it came out in 2013 it doesn't count as new. While Frozen may be too popular for its own good, there's a reason why it so. It's one of Disney's best animated features in a long time. That's counting Pixar as well. 

Runner Up: Gravity
Like Frozen, Gravity also came out in 2013 but I didn't see it until 2014. While I usually dislike movies with a depressing tone, I really liked Gravity. It's a struggle for two astronauts to make it back to Earth in one piece after their shuttle is destroyed in an accident. 

Favorite Video Game: Super Smash Bros. (WiiU)
I was expecting for Super Smash Bros. to be my favorite game of the year long before it came out. While I didn't play that many video games this year, it probably would still be the best. It has it's problems, but it's a great successor to the best fighting game in video games. 

Runner Up: Pokemon X/Y
While I don't like Pokemon as much as did when I played Pokemon Blue in 1999, I still play them from time to time. Usually skipping a generation for nostalgia. This was the first one to be as close as I imagined a 3D Pokemon game would like when I first imagined one in 2000 for the N64. 

10 comments:

  1. I was surprised at how good The Winter Soldier was too. It exceeded my expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! YAY for GoT and Sherlock! And now, I must see Gravity and Winter Solider (since I'm a Marvel fan. Can't believe I haven't seen this one yet:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post !
    Happy New Year Adam ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I've had personal experience with is Gravity. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a bunch of movies I haven't seen here yet. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter soldier was great indeed and so glad they fixed that X3 crap in the new one

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did think Frozen was cute when I saw it, but I was stunned when it became such a phenomenon. It was good...I just didn't see it as the next Gone with the Wind when I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen or played anything on your list. :-\

    ReplyDelete
  9. GoT and Sherlock are two my favourites too. Just saw Frozen and liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Frozen too, but am getting a bit tired of it. Hoping a few of the new Disney movies this year knocks it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete