Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Other Boleyn Girl (2008 film) Review

 I don't think I remember The Other Boleyn Girl back in 2008, but I have known of it for a few years. This one of the movies that my fiancee Daisy really wanted to watch with me. She always seems to like movies set in olden times, and she loves Natalie Portman. I know the story of King Henry VIII very well, he's easily one of the memorable and worst kings in English history.
 Natalie Portman plays Anne Boleyn, while Scarlett Johansson plays her younger sister Mary. The movie obviously starts when King Henry VIII's wife Catherine cannot produce him a male heir. Her family is noble, so their uncle knows the King quite well. It is soon later that Anne is asked to do something for the King. 
 Her father and uncle inform her that the King is interested in Anne. With the Queen unable to have anymore children, they hope Anne can give Henry a healthy son. Soon after there are some issues, like her sister Mary who also becomes involved in a romance with the King. The other is a political issue for King Henry VIII, as the Pope will never allow him to divorce his wife. 
Before I saw it, I learned that the movie isn't based on history itself but a novel based on history. The original book had many historical inaccuracies from what I hear, but I didn't find it that bad in the film. They seem to make things probably way more dramatic than they were. I did like the movie, it was actually a bit better than I expected.

Score: B-

9 comments:

  1. Looks interesting, i've never heard about this movie before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie, but I'd argue that Henry VIII was one of England's worst monarchs. He got rid of a variety of wives because they couldn't produce male heirs necessary to prevent another hideous Wars of the Roses, where hundreds of thousands of people would die, and separating England from the power and influence of the Church set the stage for England's future greatness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well to be fair, his only legitimate son only ruled for six years before dying at age 15. Besides the Lady Jane Grey and Mary taking the throne for a short time, Elizabeth proved to be Henry's true successor.

      Delete
  3. I saw another movie version years ago. The twists and turns were quite scary. So was this king.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the movie was just Ehhh. Was fine to watch once, but don't need to ever see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the movie and thought it was interesting. I don't know if I liked it or not. I love the old English movies too.

    ReplyDelete