Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Congressman Jim Himes Urges Congress To Recognize Darwin Day

While I have little confidence in Congress, I do like some of the things our congressmen and senators do. I really like that Congressman Jim Himes (D-CT) is trying to pass a resolution for the government to recognize Charles Darwin's birthday (Feburary 12th) as Darwin Day. While it obviously won't be a federal holiday, I do think it would be wonderful to honor one of the world's most influential and brilliant scientists. But since Congress is controlled by the GOP, I doubt it will happen. The Christian fundamentalists dictate almost every social-issue for Republican politicians, even if it denies proven science. 

6 comments:

  1. Adam, like you, I highly doubt that it would ever pass (though it should). I just became a big fan of Congressman Himes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if your country will ever pass this, but I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine most Republicans still think Darwin's work on evolution to be a mere theory instead of proven science. Interesting how they pick and choose. Science that gives us airplanes and automobiles is okay, but not anything that butts heads with Christian beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could get one of those Darwin fish decals with legs...have you seen those? I haven't in about nine years. Small town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a grand idea, but I highly doubt it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I don't get hanged by the neck until dead by every one here...and I hope ya'll still love me knowing I AM A REPUBLICAN.

    ReplyDelete