Friday, May 15, 2015

Fact of the Day: Space Pencils

A story out there is that NASA spent millions developing a space-pen when Soviet/Russian cosmonauts just used pencils is a bit untrue. Like the cosmonauts, American astronauts would use pencils to write in space. However pencils tips often break off which can lead to harming space-equipment. The space-pen does exist, but it was not NASA's invention as a company came up with a pen that could write in almost any condition and later offered it to NASA. 

15 comments:

  1. I think Seinfeld used that pen in a few episodes

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lost two Space Pens. They are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. things you don't think about needing in space...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one but my neighbor said it floated away. Should I suspect he took it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought they used computers to write;I have never thought about this question. Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting fact. It's amazing that something as small as a broken off pencil tip could inflict damage in space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of those but I did have some astronaut ice cream. It's freeze dried ice cream and it really wasn't good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard this story, but didn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You never think a writing instrument could cause so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete