Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Jupiter Ascending (2015 Film) Review

I had seen a trailer for Jupiter Ascending last year and I thought it looked rather promising. I later learned that the Wachowskis (famous for the Matrix films) had written and directed this one. Then I heard that critical opinion was abysmal. Could it be that bad?
 The story is about Jupiter Jones, who seems to be an ordinary woman who usually cleans houses for a living. She is attacked by a group of aliens only to be saved a mysterious man. She later travels to space and learns that she has the same exact DNA (as they believe it as a reincarnation) of a matriarch of alien royalty. She learns that her "former life" gave her three children, now heirs to many planets in the universe. 
 Since Jupiter is considered the reincarnation of their mother, she can now claim Earth which currently belongs to Balem Abrasax. He was behind the alien attacks on Earth, and wishes for nothing else but her demise. He wants to "harvest" Earth before Jupiter can claim it, which would be bad news for every person living there. 
The critical opinions were right, Jupiter Ascending is very bad especially considering how respected The Wachowskis are in the movie industry. The visuals and special effects can be beautiful and unique, but the story is a mess. My wife can overlook dumb movie plots better than I can, but even she mentioned how things just don't make much sense. It gets better near the end, but not enough to save it from mediocrity. Even Eddie Redmayne is terrible in it, and he just recently won an Oscar for his role in The Theory of Everything. 

Score: D+

7 comments:

  1. Oh well, might not see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll continue to pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha glad I skipped that one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to watch this movie because of Channing Tatum, but ended up stopping after the first 5 minutes. I don't know how the Wachowski bros could make this movie considering how awesome The Matrix was!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this one, too. Guess that is what you would call a GOOD MISS!

    ReplyDelete