Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sad Story: Methodist Question

While I'm an Agnostic non-theist now, as a child my mother took us to a Methodist church. Especially as a kid I never knew or cared about the differences between all the many denominations. We went to a trip to the beach with the church once, and part of this included many events by the Methodist church. I remember waiting for something to start in a hallway and one of the kids asked me what my religion was which was a strange question in that kind of setting. I said "Christian" since Methodism is a part of Christianity, but he gave me all kind of grief for not saying Methodist. I suppose that's one of biggest pet peeves is arguing with idiots when I'm undoubtedly right. 

12 comments:

  1. I don't know the difference between Methodism and other religion! Don't bother with such people, there's always someone who thinks they know everything...when in reality they are simply dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing isn't it? Why should it matter?
    Happy Sunday to you and Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that poor kid had certainly been indoctrinated . You have to feel sorry for the
    little "bugger" - that "bugger" word is Aussie lingo - can have many meanings - here
    it would mean you are sorry for him.
    Cheers
    B j Hunnicut aka Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that coming from a kid. Blame the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No religion or church can save you from hell. Only Jesus can and it is a gift He gives us if we just believe. The Bible tell us in John 3:16 For God so loved that world that He gave us His only begotten so that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have ever lasting life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't a religion, I just believe in karma, kindness, love and that wishes come true if you really want it!

    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that's really too bad. I remember in one of the writings of Paul he says people shouldn't say, "I'm of Paul," or "I'm of Apollos" (church leaders), because Paul didn't save them, and Apollos didn't save them. Christ did. You gave the right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Agnostic now but was raised Mormon. But my grandparents on my moms side were Baptist. I went to a lot of different churches when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were right, Adam. It's too bad that kid said that. We all find our way by different methods, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny how the judgmental he was. Why should it really matter what denomination you are? I thought they were supposed to be accepting of all their brothers and sisters, no matter what their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You said the right thing, Adam...

    ReplyDelete