Saturday, January 23, 2016

Fact of the Day: Theobromine Chocolate

While it's common knowledge that chocolate can be lethal to dogs, it's really the theobromine in the chocolate that's the reason. A normal human's metabolism is fast enough to take the theobromine without a harmful effect, though in certain animals (such as a dog) that have slower metabolism it can prove disastrous to their health. 

25 comments:

  1. I did not even know chocolate could be lethal to dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. And you supposedly worked in the computer industry??
      I stayed with a Canadian family in Vancouver in 1970.
      They were rather strange, but supposedly typical and intelligent, but allowing the pet cat to walk all over the dining table and eat from plates - well that was the straw for me. Out and into a hotel ASAP without appearing rude.
      People who TRY and make pets human are stupid.
      Animals are animals, but I must admit many humans are animals.
      CHOCOLATES ROT THE TEETH OF THE CANINE - DOG FRATERNITY!
      B J Hunnicut

      Delete
    3. Yes - thank God for the canine fraternity.
      Colin

      Delete
  2. Feeding a dog a chocolate is pure stupidity.
    No dog in my family has ever had a bloody chocolate that
    we knew of. Dogs eat MEAT, Doggie food from government approved firms and some vegetables.
    Anyone feeding a dog chocolate should be in a lunatic asylum
    or jail. Utter fools.
    B J Hunnoicut aka Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one might say that goes for feeding people with it too, Huggy :) Most chocolates are products that contain around 200 ingredients or even more and nothing of that number can be good for human body either. Not talking of some organic, simpler stuff, naturally.

      Delete
    2. Dezmond
      I think any sensible person can READ and enjoy chocolate products in moderation.I can assure you I like chocolate but bloody don't stuff myself with it.
      You do make a good point - moderation.
      I believe that Adam did all readers a favour by putting this "dogs and chocolates" information up.
      Colin

      Delete
  3. Before buying a dog ( pet ) it would be wise to learn or get taught all about good, sensible dog ( pet ) care, especially food and health care!! Like child / human health and food care, don't you think?
    Great post!
    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said/written Jeanneke.
      Take a bow, Ma'am.
      Colin

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Colin, I feel honoured.
      But it's all just a matter of common sense and real interest, isn't it?
      Cheers,
      Jeanneke.

      Delete
  4. We had one that got into it once, no matter where you put something she'd get it. Could lock the damn food in a safe and she'd still find a way. Thankfully she was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have dogs. Chocolate is a big no-no definitely, although I never knew it was that ingredient that was harmful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this is true. I am a retired Vet Tech. Lots of dogs come in with Chocolate Over dose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of this, although I've never researched the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to be careful when we had a dog. They seem to suck up anything that falls on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to be careful when we had a dog. They seem to suck up anything that falls on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. meaning even a bite of chocolate or just an overdose like Nicole says above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a bite usually won't be enough unless it's a very tiny dog.

      Delete
  11. I knew chocolate was dangerous for dogs but I didn't know why. Thanks for educating me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what happened to my comment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see one under Christine's comment

      Delete
  13. Hello Adam!:) The doggie chocolate drops we buy as treats, must be Theobromine free.

    ReplyDelete