Saturday, January 23, 2016

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) Review

 Like most American gamers, I had no idea who Marth and Roy were once I unlocked them in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nintendo originally planned to leave them out of the American version of Melee, but let them stay. A move that sparked interest for Americans (and Europeans) to get a Fire Emblem outside of Japan. They did so with Fire Emblem: Sword of Flame (known just as Fire Emblem in the USA) for GBA, and the series had decent enough American support. I decided to make the newest (until Fates arrives in Feburary) Fire Emblem my first in the series, especially as Lucina and Robin (who are in Super Smash Bros. IV) are important characters in this one.
 The game is set 1,000 years after the original (Marth's time) on the same continents of Archanea and Valm from the original Fire Emblem on Famicom/NES. The hero of the story is a prince named Chrom who meets a mysterious stranger named Robin who ends up being a loyal ally. His troops end up fighting zombie soliders known as Risen which causes great fear in the land. However the Risen aren't the only ones to worry about as war is coming with countries to the west. 
 Chrom and Robin are considered the leaders in battle, and if either dies then the game is over. Unlike many other Fire Emblems, you have the option of getting troops back after they fall in battle once the stage is won. Like the game Advance Wars, you battle on a map taking turns. Like an RPG, your troops level-up and can equip better items, and weapons to make you stronger. Unlike Advance Wars, the warfare is not modern but similar to the olden warfare of swords, spears, and arrows.  
I loved Fire Emblem Awakening, and before I knew I had already played over twenty hours of it. I get the logic of olden warfare better than I did the modern version in Advance Wars, so I ended up like Fire Emblem far more than I ever did Advance Wars. My only qualms are that story could have been more interesting, and the later levels have too many enemy reinforcements who appear often out of thin air. Many may like the challenge of that, but I think it's too ridiculous and is a poor way to make the game more difficult. 

Score: A-

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could offer interesting comments when it comes to "gaming" but I just never got into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, Adam, I don't know squat about games...but have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete