Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Stillborn Nephew's Funeral Was Today

Today wasn't as sad as I had expected, but most everyone had plenty of time to mourn. My brother did a lot better than I expected, but I think part of it was staying strong in front of my niece Little K. My sister-in-law Tiffany (the mother) took it hardest obviously, sobbing and looking like she never wanted to let Evan go. I think what made this death especially difficult is that Evan never got to experience life at all, no first breath, no first day of school, no learning how to ride a bike, no anything really. But he did get to experience one thing that nobody who reads this can claim. He left this world how he came into it; innocent and perfect. 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely summary, Adam.
    The last sentence says it all.
    B J Hunnicut aka Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad Adam, my brother had a premature twin daughter who died but the twin boy survived...this was 16 years ago. They named her and visit her grave from time to time. Her brother is just fine, in high school now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A heartfelt post, Adam. That last line is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Adam...you chose words that describe this so well.
    I am so sorry for the mama and daddy especially, but for all the family.
    And putting cardboard on your windshield during a snowstorm is a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh..... read your post with a heavy heart, sorry to hear that, will be thinking of you and the family! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So saddened to read about this, Adam. Prayers for little Evan and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Innocent and perfect. Couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your family's loss. What a beautiful tribute you wrote to Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart aches for those who mourn Evan. Your tribute is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully this will be the only such funeral your family will have to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very touching post, Adam. Here I am a stranger, and my eyes are tearing. So sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad, I am very sorry for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh... I'm so sorry. This is very, very hard.

    ReplyDelete