Thursday, March 31, 2016

Question: How Did You Get Your Name?

I was the youngest child in my family. I was my mother's fourth son and my father's third with no sisters. The name Adam comes from the Bible but they did not name me that for religious reasons. My parents were apparently really awful with ideas for names, because they ran out of them when it came to me. So they just asked my oldest brother Steven and he said "Adam" after one of his friends at school. My wife Daisy and I have long talked about what we wanted to name our children and why. It's a shame mine had virtually no thought put into it. 

Why did your parents give you your name? 

9 comments:

  1. I was named after my mother's favorite aunt...we named both our children after people in our family. They, in turn, named their children after family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my name Alina because my sister wanted this, as she had a friend with this name and Anna because I was born with a bad health and could die, and in the church said that it was the day of Anna, so it can to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew that. I have sooooo many people that wanted to know where I got my name. Have no clue and no one left to ask. I am sure I came into this world screaming, and my mother thought of LaVoice. Adam is not a bad. It could certainly be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom wanted to name me frank but there were already six Franks in our extended family. I don't know how she came up with Stephen, although several teachers told me I spelled it wrong and should be spelling it Steven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was named after my maternal grandmother, which makes my mom very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom just liked the name. No special meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea. Though, I do know my middle name is shared with my grandma's middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently I was named after a character in a radio show at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom wanted to name me April Dawn if I was born in the morning or April Eve if I was born at night. However, at the last minute my mom named me after my grandmother. I always dislike my name and at age 12 I changed it to Nicole. I did name my daughter April Dawn.

    ReplyDelete