Friday, March 11, 2016

Sad Story: Middle School Basketball

 If it hasn't happened already, by the time kids reach middle school is when the majority of them turn into hateful little monsters. One day at my school, they made an announcement during class saying that anyone interested in joining the school's basketball team should head down to the gym to get the paper-work to give to our parents for try-outs. I had played baseball since I was in first grade, so I wanted to be on another sports team. So I headed down to the gym and grabbed the piece of paper. But that dream was cut short.
I was much shorter (at the time) than my peers, so I wasn't terribly confident I'd even get on the team. But as I walked back to class, I kept hearing too many kids make remarks either to my face or from far-away as they might as well had just pointed and laugh all in one big crowd. It didn't take me long to get upset and throw the piece of paper in the garbage. 

13 comments:

  1. Kids can certainly be cruel. I was one of the kids who always got picked so I can feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you never made it to NBA.... :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I face so many kids in my life, they are really gotten worst, what you think is wrong here? Parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh.
    I so known how you felt!! I was terrorized as a child in school for all sorts of nonsensical reasons. It was fairly traumatic for me, and I've thought about blogging on it....but just really don't know if I can stomach rehashing those times/don't want to sound like a whiner about crap that happened when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, that's too bad Adam. School Basketball is very competitive and aggressive, maybe you are better off out of it. My son tried out in College and couldn't get near the ball, he wasn't willing to risk injury.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly didn't have the best of days at school.
    Sad really.
    Maybe if you had been fortunate enough and gone to boarding school, then school/college life may have been different.
    There was a pronounced difference in mateship, akin to the "musketeers" I suppose - " all for one and one for all".
    Bullies were not tolerated - in some cases (very, very rare), the parents were asked to college to "collect" their son. !!! That was what could be called the embarrassment to beat all red faces.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a sad story. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Kids can be quite cruel sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very sad. I hate to think that some adults are not much better. If only everyone could learn to be supportive, respectful, or even just plain decent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess most of us when thru a little bit of this, Adam...some more than others. It's so sad when parents can't accept responsibility and teach their children the Golden Rule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Needs to be less acceptance of bullies, regardless of who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I faced jerks on my volleyball team. I imagine that everyone experiences a little bullying from time to time. Sadly, I don't think that will ever change. Kids are nasty little monsters.

    ReplyDelete