Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Fact of the Day: English Anarchy

A civil war in England called The Anarchy took place between 1135-1154 when King Henry I died without a male heir. His nephew claimed the throne as Stephen I while Henry I's daughter Matilda challenged his right to the throne. The war plunged England into chaos and was ended in a treaty. The main deal was that Stephen I was to remain king, but Matlida's son Henry (who became Henry II) would succeed him regardless of any children Stephen I had or would have. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh very interesting fact all this about the throne~
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The English monarchy has always reminded me of melodramas:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fair resolution, it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes you wonder why they couldn't do that in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share a name with King Stephen, who unfortunately wasn't a very good king.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a good compromise!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting these family battles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't seem like there was a need for war.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting...have a great weekend, Adam and Daisy.

    ReplyDelete