Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Fact of the Day: Mermaid Reality

Little Mermaid author Hans Christian Andersen may very well have based the main character of the story on himself. The author had a friend named Edvard Collin who was recently engaged to a woman. Andersen wrote to him expressing his love for Collin, and was rejected. Many think Collin was the basis for the Prince that never had a chance to love the Mermaid, and just like the original tale (not the Disney version) his relationship did not end on a happy note. 

14 comments:

  1. Ooooo...I never knew this, and I love The Little Mermaid! Thanks for the info, Adam. And I'm still kinda pissed about the GoT delay, but what can you do? Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and I never knew he was gay, what a legend

    ReplyDelete
  3. The non disney versions are never happily ever after it seems

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mermaids are so fascinating to think of ,I wonder what if they really exist

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is something I never knew, Adma! I love the original, poignant story and always think of mermaids and unrequited love when I see sea foam on the waves and shore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading some tales from him the other day and most really do not wend well...

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh, poor fella...loved rejected hurts everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was a peculiar man in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go to Copenhagen and see the "Little Mermaid" in the bay.
    It is VERY small, so look carefully when you get the instructions
    from the Tourist Authorities.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete