Thursday, July 7, 2016

Favorite Quotes: Fear of Death

"Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely."
-Buddha 

While I'm an agnostic non-theist and not a Buddhist (my wife is though) there's a lot to admire about the Buddhist philosophy. Fear of death is something that almost every human that ever walked the earth lives with throughout their existence. A lot of religions focus on this with heavens and hells. I think Christianity became very popular partly because of its promise of eternal life even though you have to pass away first which is a rather strange contradiction there. Judaism (and the Old Testament) had been extremely vague when it came to the after-life, and I'm sure the idea of immortality sounded pretty good in the 1st and 2nd centuries. Even the first Emperor of China Qin Shi Huang ironically died searching for a way to live forever. I think death becomes less scary the more you have lived your life. Though I'm not foolish enough to believe that my doom won't be at least a little scary. 

11 comments:

  1. That's true, religion is a lot about what comes after death.

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not afraid of death. I know I'm going to heaven. The Bible makes it very clear and easy on how to get there. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?????????????
      Please send me a contact number so I can find where
      my room will be located.
      I want a good view overlooking a great surfing beach, with
      good tennis courts after the good Lord fixes my back and a decent stable of horse for equestrian participation.
      Colin

      Delete
  3. I wish I had more faith. It would be a great source of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Woody Allen famously said "I don't mind the idea of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared of death. Wise quote though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not afraid of dying. I'm just afraid of what will happen to the ones I leave behind. But I do have peace knowing there is a heaven. I put my trust in God and his word.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lisa. Death doesn't worry me. It's the loss my family will feel once I'm gone that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I croak I'll see what there is, if nothing then I'll never know. I have no fear of death, it's the long drawn out dying part I want none of. Take me fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a lot more concerned about dying when our son was small but now he's a grown adult and could take care of himself if I, or his mother, were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Buddhist philosophy. It really speaks to me. I'm not as afraid of death as I am of how I will die. If I live a full and satisfactory life and die peacefully, there is nothing to fear.

    ReplyDelete