Monday, July 25, 2016

Question: Did You Live With Dial-Up?

From the 1960's to the early 2000's, technology was laughable compared to what we have today. While high-speed internet is pretty much de-facto now, I remember the days of dial-up. And they were horrible. Having stuff go through phone cables is neat in a sense but when it came to anything other than words, it was a slow journey. We lived with it until 2005 until we demanded our mother switch to cable internet. I really wanted to play Mario Kart DS online, and thankfully our mother had enough sense to do so. I also remember the horrible sound it'd make when starting, and do you remember someone saying "Get off the internet! I have to use the phone!"? There weren't many pros when it came to it, but a mountain list of cons. 

Did you ever have to suffer with dial-up?

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha...yes, I remember those days.:D Unix, Kermit, FTP...those were the days....mwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and not just for home but for work too. Also, in the beginning of dial-up days, I was a bit naive in thinking that all phone numbers with my exchange were local numbers. I learned that lesson quickly when the $300 phone bill came in. And yes, I remember when you had to get off the net to use the phone. I finally got a splitter for that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaha! Yep I remember those good old time ;)
    Xx


    The-not-so-girlygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the rotary dial phones, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a few years, yes. I think we got high speed in 2005.

    It became especially burdensome with the advent of youtube, which is basically impossible with dial-up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgot about dial up. I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete