Friday, September 16, 2016

The Smurfs (2011 Film) Review

 The Smurfs is one cartoon from the 1980's I remember fondly as a child. I was born right before the original TV series ended but I do remember countless re-runs of the show growing up especially one cute Christmas episode they did. It may not have been the most clever show/cartoon but it was likable. It's been many years since I've seen the Smurfs and I had forgotten what the smurf was going on somewhat. I do remember Gargamel and his cat but not much else. I heard the 2011 movie was pretty bad, but Daisy eventually wanted to see it and the time had come. There is some talent here with Neil Patrick Harris and voice actors such as Katy Perry and Anton Yelchin. Now were critics wrong with this one, or is the one big piece of smurf of a film? 
The story begins with the evil wizard Gargamel trying to find the Smurf village. He is aided by his cat Azrael who honestly thinks his master is a bit annoying. But Azrael hates the smurfs and will not stop in trying to attack one. Things are fairly normal for the Smurf village until Papa Smurf gets a vision of doom and gloom. The reason of the doom and gloom seems to be Clumsy Smurf who is told to keep to himself and stay out of trouble. Clumsy doesn't listen and accidentally reveals where the Smurf village is to Gargamel. The evil wizard takes very little time to cause utter havoc on the village. And he has a bit of vengeance planned for both Papa Smurf and Smurfette, the latter was his own creation that was turned into a real smurf by Papa Smurf himself.  
With the village in ruins, the smurfs flee into the woods. Clumsy takes a wrong turn and a few smurfs follow him to save him from the evils lurking in the path he chose. Gargamel follows them and ends up in a cave. A portal opens and rather let themselves be captured by Gargamel, Papa Smurf decides to enter the portal with all the other smurfs. They land into New York City, and befriend Patrick Winslow and his wife Grace. Patrick works for a cosmetic company and is stressed out by his boss who is very demanding. Things will get even worse when the Smurfs will need his time and help which will makes things difficult at his work. To make matters worse, Gargamel entered the portal shortly after the Smurfs and is willing to search every inch of New York City to find his small blue foes.
I can actually see why The Smurfs was not considered a good movie. It's not horrible but the story is rather vanilla and the humor and jokes are all rather flat with very few laughs. I thought they did a poor job on explaining why Gargamel even wanted to capture Smurfs to begin with. I know Neil Patrick Harris got a big career boost after Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle and it's a good thing The Smurfs was a few years after that because he's just plain boring in this one. So overall, The Smurfs might be likable enough for children but unlike Pixar movies the grown-ups are going to be bored by this one. I heard the sequel is even worse and Daisy still wants to see it, so I'm a lucky man...

Score: C-  

8 comments:

  1. We don't have small children in our lives so haven't seen this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to collect smurfs in the 80's. I even remember visiting smurf island at Carrowinds.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to collect smurfs in the 80's. I even remember visiting smurf island at Carrowinds.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. in the 80's i was having children, who watched the smurfs ;)

    clearly we are of a different generation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. used to take the grands when they were little to movies like this...They are all grown now..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awful but I would probably watch it as a good bad movie with my buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must confess I hate those effin Smurfs. Always have, always will. Minions, on the other hand, I adore. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete