Thursday, October 13, 2016

Fact of the Day: Rob Roy

President Calvin Coolidge's favorite pet was a dog named Rob Roy. His wife Grace Coolidge acquired the dog after seeing collies perform in the circus and wanted one of her own. Rob Roy did not live a long life at age 5-6 after falling ill even though medical care was performed. The President would later remark "His especial delight was to ride with me in the boats when I went fishing. So although I know he would bark for joy as the grim boatman ferried him across the dark waters of the Styx, yet his going left me lonely on the hither shore." on his dog's death.

8 comments:

  1. Poor pup, never easy when they go for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collies are good dogs. We had some when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so sad when a beloved pet dies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, one can have a close connection with his pets!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved collies. I would have given anything to have had one when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete