Saturday, November 26, 2016

Painting The Walls in My Garage

 As most home-owners, painting is a reality for us. I've been meaning to the paint the garage, but things kept making me delay it. I chose Olympic One as my paint as it's rather inexpensive but coverage and durability are still fairly excellent. My wife Daisy wanted the garage "white" but I wanted it an official white that we could get again if we ever ran out of paint and needed to touch it up. We chose Frostine (AF-5) by Benjamin Moore, and had it color-matched into Olympic One paint. It's just a tad under a super-white, so it's not a real off-white. It's suppose to have a blue-green tone to it, but it's so faint that it doesn't look much different than just a regular white. The garage was in rather rough shape, so while most garage walls are either flat or egg-shell I wanted satin instead as it's far more durable than the other sheens.
The garage walls had obviously never been painted before, and when I painted the ceiling with Valspar Reserve white I rolled a little on the walls. Mainly to cover over holes that I had put spackle on. Olympic One is a paint+primer but that's more or less a gimmick companies use to describe better quality paints with better coverage and better bonds. I had thought about using a traditional primer first as a unpainted surface can just soak a paint in as it's often porous, but a decent coat on the first wall made me go along with just using the paint instead. It seemed to be fairly uniform between the spackle, previous paint-spots, and bare wall.
At the end of the first day, as soon as I went outside to hose off my supplies to be cleaned, my wife Daisy walks out to paint as I told her I'd start earlier than she would. I got one decent coat on the wall, but I let her do the majority of the 2nd coat on the walls. While she did that, I took a paint brush and started painting the edges and small areas that I missed on the first go-around. This is why I would never consider painting as a professional, as it's easy to miss things on your first coat. This was Daisy's first real try at painting, and she did better than I expected. She went through maybe a quart of paint before she got tired and went back inside. I called it a day soon afterwards. 
But now it looks a heck of a lot better than it did before. The hardest part is the floor which is un-coated and the previous owners let it get quite hard to clean. I have some junk lying around but that'll be the only easy part as it's just moving it out of the way. 

11 comments:

  1. Good to see the two of you painting and what you have done looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to do this together ...
    It's looking good!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't buy a house; the house buys YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow the garage is going to look so good when it's done, good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painting is a job I used to dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of all the chores, painting is my favorite.
    Apparently, drinking beer while watching TV is not a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes... I'm very familiar with what you went through. I keep wishing I don't have to look at another paint brush, but that never happens. We've got another project right now. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks terrific! I love an organized and clean garage. And even though I buy paints that include primer, I always add 'real' primer first whether I need to or not. I just feel like it gives me better results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, Adam and Daisy...concrete stain (not paint) may make your floor look a lot better.....

    ReplyDelete