Saturday, December 24, 2016

Favorite Quotes: Real Christmas Trees

"At some point, someone who worked at Rockefeller Center must have said, "Boys, I have a great idea for Christmas. Let's kill a beautiful tree that's been alive for seventy-five years and bring it to New York City. We'll stand it up in Rockefeller Plaza and conceal its natural beauty by hanging shiny, repulsive, man-made objects on it, and let it stand there slowly dying for several weeks while simpleminded children stare at it and people from Des Moines take pictures of it. That way, perhaps we can add our own special, obscene imprint to Christmas in Midtown."

-George Carlin

One of the reasons why I loved George Carlin is he could easily tell it how it was about human culture. It is rather sad we do this to millions of real "Christmas" trees every year across the globe. It would be one thing if they all came from human-created farms but some of these are taken directly from mother nature. While I miss the smell of a real tree, I have no problems keeping artificial ones in the house. 

9 comments:

  1. I actually didn't know that. I thought they all came from farms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss George Carlin and his caustic tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we have Christmas Tree Farms ... which may (or may not) be better!

    Our trees (at home) for a good many years have been artificial.

    Merry Christmas Greetings

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great George Carlin was amazing and I agree that this practice is wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about artificial trees, but our adult son wouldn't think of having anything other than a real tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom had a real tree once, and what a pain! Always having to water it and sweep up the needles. Plus, grandpa was a firefighter and said that he put more fires out at Christmastime than any other time of the year because people forgot to water their trees and the lights got so hot the trees would catch on fire. I just don't get the appeal. Fake tree for me!

    ReplyDelete