Thursday, January 26, 2017

Favorite Quotes: All Gods Are the Same

"Seven gods, drowned gods, tree gods—it's all the same"

-Ser Davos Seaworth (Game of Thrones) 

Like many I just love the Game of Thrones TV series and I remember the character Davos Seaworth saying this quote this past season. While the gods on the show are fictional they are based on the real life religions that existed thousands of years ago. There isn't really an atheist character on the show as very few atheists existed in the medieval times of history, but Davos is certainly the closest. It's silly to think that all religions are right, but it's certainly proves hard to convince others that perhaps none of them are right. Religion has been used to explain the history of the unknown, and a faith is often used to control people and leech from their incomes. If there is some amazing god or gods out there, they sure are awfully silent. When I look at the details of any religion, it's all about the same. Just a bunch of stuff that someone made up. 

6 comments:

  1. I think there is a lot of made up religions but there is only one GOD and he is real.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Religions were created by iron-age people who had no idea where the sun went at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People believe all kinds of things. For some it's a source of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew intellectually that "All gods are the same, Adam." But I vividly remember when the realization slammed emotionally. I was at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science viewing a visiting Egyptian exhibit, and I saw a statue titled "Osiris Rising." He was associated with transition, resurrection, and regeneration. He was resurrected from the dead, and ancient Egyptians eventually came to believe that they through him would inherit eternal life. I'm an agnostic, and I find it difficult to resolve the conflict in myself between my scientific mind and my soul that yearns for God. One of the fascinating themes in the Game of Thrones series is the examination of religious beliefs. I'm glad that I wasn't born in the Iron islands!

    ReplyDelete