Saturday, January 28, 2017

Question: Food Stamps and Junk Food

A state lawmaker in Tennessee recently tried to change policy on food stamps to stop them being used for "junk food" like soda, ice cream, chips, etc. but since it's a federal program the bill idea was moot. But if Congress was to decide, I'd say no. I worked in the grocery industry and the bureaucracy is a constant headache there. That's a lot of stuff to filter out. I remember seeing people with the WIC vouchers and they just hold up lines because their items weren't approved by the program. Also the anti-welfare people are often very disillusioned on what it's like to be poor, like some think you can't be poor if you own a TV. I've never been on welfare myself, but if someone wants cookies, chips, or ice-cream then whatever. 

What do you think?  

14 comments:

  1. I don´t know darling for me this is not relevant
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tinkering and cheaping out with welfare only produces more homelessness which in turn causes more problems. You're right. the billionaires have no realistic idea what being poor is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think public assistance is too easy to get and continues long after the need as passed, but I don't think I'd regulate what can be purchased, although I'd draw a line at liqueur and cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they should buy whatever they want. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can't have a goodie once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Adam. It's not like eating ice cream and cookies is living in the lap of luxury. We all need comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What they really need is a better system to spot the abusers and fakes. Who cares what one eats that truly needs to be on it and use food stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they should let them be. Some of those people had TV's & nice things before they lost their jobs or acquired hideous medical bills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think people should buy whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think food items are fine but I would draw the line at alcohol and cigarettes because I think both are a luxury that many working people cannot afford themselves. Just my thoughts-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that people should be able to enjoy a few food luxuries like ice cream or soda. I hate the moral smugness of people who have a lot and look down their noses at people who have it harder in life, often through no fault of their own.

    ReplyDelete