Monday, January 9, 2017

Question: Is Cheerleading a Sport?

This is a debated subject, but I'm more literal when it comes to sports. If it's not physical (like race cars) and there is no score or thing to win then it's not a sport. While they do work hard and it can be physically demanding, their point is moot. Do they actually help their team win? Probably not, they're more likely distractions than motivation. It's also very sexist how we view cheerleaders. While male cheerleaders do exist, the fact that cheerleaders are mainly kept around to show off pretty women is a little sad even though we often never complain about it or want to. But as far as a sport, can you give me an N and a O? What's that spell? 

Do you think cheerleading is a sport? 

10 comments:

  1. Good points, Adam.
    Whether I'd consider it a sport....I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your arguments. I can see both sides of the issue, but lean more to the cheer of N-O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but it does take skill and coordination. So does being a ballerina, but I don't think of ballerina's as athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a friend whose two young daughters are in the sport of cheerleading. They go to judged competitions and compete for standing. It's true that standing is judged subjectively rather than objectively (i.e. who crosses a certain line first or scores the most goals, etc., like in traditional sports) but then, so are recognized sports like gymnastics and figure skating. Cheerleading promotes fitness, teamwork and good health so I am prepared to consider it a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a form of gymnastics and I think they are athletes so in a way I guess it is a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of it this way before. I'm leaning a little toward it being athletic since it requires physical effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted to be the one or on the team that the cheerleaders were cheering for. I think that professional ballroom dancing is a sport, especially for the women whom must perform in heels!

    ReplyDelete