Monday, February 20, 2017

Star Trek Beyond (2016 Film) Review

 Since I was not even remotely close to being born in 1966, I was not old enough to enjoy the original Star Trek TV show nor even the first sequel TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 2009 they decided to reboot the series as a string of movies introducing an alternate timeline (that makes a lot of sense) so people can know the characters if they didn't watch a lot of episodes of the old TV series. I had known very well of Star Trek and its impact on pop culture, but I decided the 2009 Star Trek film would be how I knew the series. I really liked it and I loved the sequel Star Trek: Into Darkness even more so. This is the first Star Trek film of the new sub-series to not be directed by J.J. Abrams so while I was looking forward to Star Trek Beyond I had my doubts.
 
 The film begins years into Captain James T. Kirk's five-year mission he set out on at the end of the last film. He didn't learn too much traveling into "uncharted" space besides getting caught up in intergalactic politics. Kirk's USS Enterprise arrives at Starbase Yorktown to refuel and refresh but they soon get a message that a ship was in trouble near a nebula and he is tasked by Starfleet to assist with the rescue. They venture out and find no sign of survivors. Instead a massive swarm ships that act almost bee-like destroy the USS Enterprise while alien forces board the ship causing death and capturing many who attempt to flee. Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and most of the main crew eventually land on an unknown planet.  
  Lieutenant Nyota Uhura is captured along with a lot of minor crew members. The mastermind behind all the chaos is a mutated alien warlord named Krall. He knows very well of Starfleet and hates the Federation with a fiery passion. Outside of super-strength, Krall can also drain life out of regular people and use it for himself. With a powerful army behind him, he attempts to find a key to end Starfleet forever. It will be up to Captain Kirk and his friends to stop him. But without a ship or any real weapons, it will be difficult for the crew of the USS Enterprise to even escape this planet let alone stop the monster who put them there. 
Like I had suspected, I thought Star Trek Beyond dropped the ball in comparison to its predecessors. I think a big reason is that Star Trek Beyond goes a little Superman III where they come up with a lot of original stuff despite a rich collection of stories and characters to base a new movie on. It's certainly not a bad movie, but I didn't really like Krall as a villain that much until the twist at the end.  I did like the mysterious alien girl Jaylah and I hope they include her in future stories if they can. I also thought it was strange to not see Carol Marcus in this one. But out of the three "new" movies, Star Trek Beyond is the weakest of the three. 

Score: B

4 comments:

  1. I did not like this film at all. I like the white gal who reminds me of death Mol's sister( Star Wars) but there were so many holes I was just shaking my head. First, she is hiding in the ship where it crashed over a 100 years ago and the mutants trying to find her came from that ship. I also did not understand how so many mutants suddenly came to be when there were not thousands on that ship unless they screwed like jack rabbits. The worst was that what saved the day was heavy metal music? Really? Ughhhhh.....give me the original series any day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great entry, I love your blog !!! happy day!!!
    πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm.... I watched the original every week and looked forward to it. I haven't seen this movie yet. I'll have to check Redbox.

    ReplyDelete