Monday, March 27, 2017

Photo: Grandfather's Funeral Visitation

My grandfather's funeral was this previous Saturday and it wasn't nearly as "sad" as I had imagined. My aunt Kelli took this picture. People were told to wear blue in honor of his favorite color (my brother Zach dumbly wore pink), and there were a lot of reunions and funny stories told. That's how I would like my funeral to be when the day comes as I would like it to be happier.

I was a little annoyed by the sermon which was done by my grandfather's cousin-in-law Wilton. My grandfather along with the most of the family is Protestant-Christian, so I was expecting the religious music, bible quotes, and whatnot. But Wilton turned the sermon less about my grandfather's life and rather into a long quasi-infomercial to proselytize any weak or "non-believers" into becoming loud and proud "God fearing" Christians. That's one thing I can never truly support literal Christianity over and that's the concept of hell. If my grandfather truly loved me, would it be heaven for him if I were in hell? 

10 comments:

  1. After both parents dies, I vowed never to visit another funeral. Someone once told me that funerals are supposed to be for those who are left behind, but I'm not too sure about that because each person's grieving is singular and personal. So sorry for the loss of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not do well at funerals. However been through several over the years with family & friends, In fact, there was one this past weekend for an 8 year old girl killed by a hit and run driver on my street. I did not attend. You and Daisy look very nice tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad the sermon couldn't have been more focused on your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one of my pet peeves too, Adam. My thoughts: A funeral should be a testimony to the individual's life who has passed, not an opportunity to try to save souls.
    You and Daisy looked very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that kind of behavior that has steered me towards not having a viewing/service. I'll be cremated and that's that. My family can have a small dinner for those I was closest to, then they can do as they wish with the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too bad that it wasn't more focused on your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange indeed how you described what Wilton said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I was at a relative's funeral once where the minister was going on and on about heaven, hell, christianity, etc. I remember looking around the church and wondering who the hell sitting there still believed all that? Probably not very damn many, quite frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, Adam. A funeral should be about the person who died. I remember sitting at my grandmother MacDonald's funeral and thinking that the minister didn't know my grandmother at all. And my Aunt Louise's funeral was all about proselytizing and Aunt Louise being in the literal version of heaven. We were joking about condos in heaven for weeks afterwards. I don't believe in hell.

    ReplyDelete