Monday, March 6, 2017

Question: Should the Fraternity System Be Abolished?

While fraternities and sororities are a slice of college life, I do think these systems promote elitism and they are notorious for wild parties with alcohol and who knows what else. They are also well known for hazing (often brutally) new wannabe members. Academia is often very intolerable of "non-sense" so it's rather surprisingly how these houses have been a staple for virtually every major college campus for many generations. I don't really care either way if they stay or go, but they certainly need a lot of reforms. 

Should frat houses be shut down? 

7 comments:

  1. I think both fraternities and sororities promote elitism. I wouldn't ban them though -- people do have the right to freedom of association. However, I don't think they should have any special status accorded to them on university or campus colleges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- they need reforms. If they hold themselves to some kind of standards it would solve so many problems. A lot of bonds are made there and many of them last for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some leeway can be given. As long as no laws (State and Campus)
    are not broken/abused so what?
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understood why anyone would want to be part of these and I agree with what Debra said

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Debra's comment. It's too bad these groups misbehave so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care one way or another. The Notre Dame frat houses aren't located by many residential houses here thankfully, since they always have cops lining the streets on the weekends over there. They do love to party!

    ReplyDelete