Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Question: Do You Think More Countries Like Taiwan Should Eliminate Pet Meat?

Taiwan became the first Asian country to make the use of dog or cat meat a criminal offense (through fines) for anyone caught. Except Japan and South Korea, most of the other Asian countries suffer often from extreme poverty and hunger, so I know dog and cat meat is more about survival than just choice. But it does disturb me, even though I'm a vegetarian it bugs me more as dogs and cats are not wild animals. They were bred from wild ancestors to be our friends, not food. 

Would like to see the end of dog and cat meat?  

7 comments:

  1. People who are very hungry will eat just about anything. I could never eat cats or dogs, but then I've never been in danger of starvation. It distresses me that people eat horse meat and whales. I found it upsetting to find whale on the menus of some restaurants in Reykjavik. But I eat beef and pork and chicken all the time. Are these animals any less deserving of life? I do think that we have an extra special relationships with dogs and cats, because we have been emotionally involved with them over the millennia. Interesting question, Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the only taboo should be on cannibalism. And even that would get tossed aside in a lifeboat situation, as we all know. When it comes to animals, I don't know that sentimentality is the basis on which distinctions should be made. The only limit I would place on consumption is whether the creature is an endangered species or not. And maintaining, of course, the limit of personal choice. No one should be forced to eat a creature they don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If starving, I'd eat anything, including dogs and cats. But I'm not big on the idea. I know in Peru they each deep fried guinea pigs. Too darn cute to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an emotionally-packed topic. Different cultures see things in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If people are starving, I can understand. My mom, after the war, being starved by the Russians, called Cats, roof rabbit. Unfortunately, most consider these animals some sort of delicacy which is disgusting to me. They do not need to eat puppies and cats...just horrid

    ReplyDelete