Friday, April 14, 2017

Sad Story: Great-Aunt Judy

When I hear older generations talk about how "moral" people were in the "good ol' days" I always roll my eyes. The amount of legal discrimination decades ago was appalling, girls who got pregnant had quick marriages or convenient "vacations", and "parenting" often meant abusive punishments. My mother's paternal grandfather Bill was one of the worst parents in the history of EVER. Mainly because of what he did to my great-aunt Judy. Both Bill and Judy are now deceased, but the horrors of what happened won't be forgotten for long. 

My great-grandfather Bill died long before I was born so I gladly never knew him. So what on Earth happened? Well Bill forced himself on Judy several times long before she grew up. My mother learned of this years after Bill died. I knew Judy briefly before her own death, but my mom was close to her growing up. She loved Judy but she learned that the experience really messed her up. The sad thing is that Bill (from what I understand) never went to prison or got divorced. Not many would claim descent from a monster, but how can a man do that to his own daughter?      

12 comments:

  1. People were just as moral in "the good old days" as they are now. Sadly, we'll always have sick people like this in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are hardly NO MORALS, Modesty or respect left in this world anymore. Maybe its because of monsters like this.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still believe things are getting worse with each generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retyped: I don't think it's worse now, just not as hidden and hopefully that will save some children who would have had no options in previous generations.

      Delete
  5. That is so sad, Adam. I think this happened so many times in the past and it was a secret shame that was carried down through the generations and sometimes no one ever knew. I am so sorry GAunt Judy suffered such abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful. There was a time when things like this were kept hidden out of shame. I'm glad things are changing. Every generation complains about the upcoming one and praises the past. It's easy to forget what was bad about the 'good old days' when you wear rose-coloured glasses or if you've never had to deal with discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are many monsters hiding behind friendly smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was taboo and never talked about and even today is it not encouraged. It's very sad to read about this and how much he affected his daughter. Was she the only one?? I have doubts she was

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart cries out for Judy. What a horror to live with throughout her life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a tragic story, Adam. People seemed to get away with more then, because people didn't talk about these things, and wives were encouraged to stay (by the church and society) with their husbands no matter what. One of my great great grandfathers was a brute. He burned to death in a suspicious fire. There was an inquest and it was ruled accidental. However, the family story has come down that his daughter-in-law (my great grandmother) started the fire deliberately because he was a terrible, violent drunk who treated everyone badly. Since my great grand mother was feisty and slept with a loaded pistol after her husband died, I suspect she did tip an oil lamp over when he was passed out drunk.

    ReplyDelete