Thursday, May 25, 2017

Ben Carson Calls Poverty A State of Mind

Donald Trump's new HUD Secretary Ben Carson recently called poverty a "state of mind". You know I've had times in my life post-high school like many others where I literally worried about if I was going to be able to take care of my bills and was extremely depressed over it. It wasn't because I didn't want to work, it's because I wasn't making what I should have. Overcoming poverty is not like going to the gym to get fit. There's no machine to do it, and there's plenty of things in society like employers who only offer extremely low wages that keep people behind from where they should be. We've done the trickle-down economics for almost forty years, these polices really are not working. 

5 comments:

  1. Ben Carson is out of touch with reality. I grew up in a poor family (and so did all my friends) even though all the parents were very hardworking people. There are a lot of variables to this social issue and not all of them are easy to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Overcoming poverty is not like going to the gym to get fit." Wow! I'm definitely going to quote you. That guy needs to be robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well he is just "par for the Course" in the Turnip Top cabinet.
    I hope Turnip Top carefully reads the encyclical Papal speech that Francis gave him on his visit to the Vatican. Loved the expression on the Pope's face at their "cordial"(????) meeting. The encyclical is on "CLIMATE CHANGE" and the Pontiffs views!!!
    Then we saw overnight in Brussels at the N.A.T.O gathering the "diplomacy' of Turnip Top - rudely pushing the Prime Minister of Montenegro, Dusko Makovic out of the way so as he could get into the front line.
    Oh yes USA - that went viral.!!! Hang your heads in bloody shame.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. The epitome of compassionate conservatism!

    ReplyDelete