Friday, June 2, 2017

Fact of the Day: Gender Syndrome

While basic science teaches that males have a set of XY chromosomes and females have XX chromosomes, this is not always the case. In uncommon instances, males or female babies can be born with less or more X or Y chromosomes than normal. One such example in males is Klinefelter syndrome where there is an extra X chromosome (i.e. XXY) which produces more feminine traits and sterility. In females there is one called Turner Syndrome where they are missing a X chromosome. Those who suffer from Turner Syndrome see traits liked a webbed neck and many health problems. 

12 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to those who struggle with chromosomal abnormalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to your posts, I have many TIL moments:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam, I popped over from Lisa's I think I'll hang around a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over my head on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can sure be hard to live with indeed for those who have it, crummy chromosomes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any and all kinds of genetic or chromosomal disorders are very bad for the person and their family. I hope it does not happen to a lot of people

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have no idea what all this means but i've NEVER seen anyone with a webbed neck..and i wonder if someone is pulling your leg on that one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear... That's so sad for those babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a lot of compassion for people who have genetic abnormalities.

    ReplyDelete