Saturday, June 24, 2017

Things I Like: Lidl

 I'm sure my friends in Europe know exactly what I'm talking about, but most of my American and Canadian friends probably don't. Lidl is a German supermarket that spread across Europe. Like Aldi they are getting into the United States. While it isn't on my side of town (there is one soon to open though) this one is one of the very first in the United States. I think Lidl is doing the east coast first, so my friends out west might have to wait.
One of the things I've noticed that's different from Aldi is the size of the place (much bigger) and that the carts don't need to a quarter to be unlocked. I actually prefer the quarter system as it punishes lazy people and becomes one less thing to do for the employees.  
 Also another thing that separates it from Aldi is a full bakery. Everything was a bit chaotic but it looks like all these goodies are baked right there. 
But I went with my mom and my wife that day to check things out. It was about a week after grand opening. We were pretty impressed by the place, especially the friendly service and the speed of getting our things checked out. Once the chaos of the "newness" wears down, I can't wait until the one near my house opens up. 

8 comments:

  1. First I've heard of it. Few places up here have the coin carts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know if they have it there, but you should get their corn bread. it's super super good! i have a lidl really close to my place. yeah here in europe there are a lot spread all over. and they are really a really good (and cheaper!) supermarket. their cheese section is amaizing!
    TheNotSoGirlyGirl // Instagram // Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this chain, but I does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've never heard of this chain before. I don't know if we have any in Canada yet. We might be too small a market for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this chain but if one is ever near us, I will definitely check it out. I like visiting different places to see what they offer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both Lidl and Aldi are popular with shoppers in the UK and mainland Europe. They often do very good deals on fresh fruit and vegetables too, which I like!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with these stores, Adam, but then I live in the west. Your shopping carts cost 25¢? I wouldn't like that! I always return my shopping cart to the cart corral.

    ReplyDelete