Friday, July 21, 2017

Favorite Quotes: Madison Purity

"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

-James Madison

Even when I considered myself a religious person and a Christian, I've always understood the importance of the freedom of religion. I think it's downright scary how some right-wingers believe that the 1st amendment guarantees the right to be a Christian, but not the right to be anyone else. I remember an anti-atheist fellow who wrote the local paper who said you had to believe in something even if it's a pine tree. You know what pine trees and your god have in common? No legal right to influence law and government in the United States of America.  

11 comments:

  1. Im agree with you. Im a christian and always know the importance of the freesom of religion. So good post Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, they shouldn't actually mix!

    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish the separation of church and state was more rigorously observed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So agree with this. I am a Catholic, but I would never ever think it's right to mix both the government and religion. That's just insane, which makes me even madder when I hear your current president spout all this nonsense, and his wife saying the Lord's Prayer before a speech. I think it's so hypocritical of them, and it alienates everyone else who is not a Christian.

    PS I love that Daisy like the rainbow poop:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The separation of church and state is one of the Founding Father's best ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish this quote was better practised

    ReplyDelete
  7. The complete separation of church and state. That's what I believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your post, Adam. Even with the separation of church and state, when I went to school (a public school, not a separate religious school), we still had the Lord's Prayer in the morning. I often wonder how they got away with that. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The far right movement in religion has driven me from the church. I can't bear to be associated with the hypocrisy, bigotry, hate, and smug righteousness of too many of America's "Christians."

    ReplyDelete