Monday, August 7, 2017

My (Not So) Favorite Quotes: Forgiveness Irony


“I forgive people but that doesn’t mean I accept their behavior or trust them. I forgive them for me, so I can let go and move on with my life."
-Unknown

I saw this quote floating around and I thought it was really dumb. I've argued with my mother on this one about one of her sisters she disowned despite "forgiving" her for her behavior. To truly forgive someone, you have to mean it in your heart and that typically means you either think that person is actually sorry or the behavior wasn't a big deal and YOU over-reacted. When I read this quote, it's like a person saying that actually don't forgive a person, but want to make themselves feel better for no apparent reason at all. I'm a realist, so it's basically like a sad form of lying to yourself. You can't forgive someone and still hold a grudge. 

10 comments:

  1. I hate quotes like this, because it's pretty much just like you said. All I see is, "See? I forgive them because I'm a really good person, but I'm still right and they're wrong."

    Wow, how gracious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make a good point here, it doesn't sound like they did forgive

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol most people never truly forgive, they just pretend they do by using things like that. I say I forgive but never forget, suppose that is a bit better haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I let the goddess handle that forgiveness shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you can forgive someone and mean it but it can still hurt. Holding a grudge ends up hurting you more than the person you are holding the grudge against so in that sense you do forgive someone for yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're right; you can't forgive and still hold a grudge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Putting something in quotes does not make it profound (although for some that's all it takes).

    ReplyDelete