Friday, September 8, 2017

Favorite Quotes: Gospels Vs. Education

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."

-Bertrand Russell

For many super-religious Christians, many of them will tell you that The Bible is a guidebook on how to live your life. But if you read the stories, just like Russell said, you'll find almost no praise for intelligence. Even in the Adam and Eve story, they were doomed for absorbing knowledge. Instead followers are told to be faithful despite any evidence telling them otherwise, which is hard to do in the modern world. The Lord is your Shepherd, so be a sheep and follow blindly. I think this why the Catholic Church originally wanted the Bible to be read in Latin regardless of what country you were in. You can't have the masses reading between the lines and figuring this stuff out.  

8 comments:

  1. No religion wants intelligent followers who can think for themselves. Except the UUs maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I got into so much trouble when I was in my catholic high school having to take religion and being taught by the priests...and some nuns. When I questioned why Eve was wrong to want to learn knowledge and asked Adam...I was met with quite a bit of flack. I guess I already ate the apple with glee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes think the Bible has done more damage than good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe the Bible was ever meant to taken literally.
    It is a collection of NICE stories and if you want to believe them
    then that is your business.
    I am pretty sure that Pope Francis wan't have too many sleepless nights if people interpret the biblical stories differently.
    I was educated in Catholic schools and in my senior years at a GPS Catholic College, St. Josephs College, Hunters Hill, NSW - you can google if you want to.
    There weren't any bible study classes - religious classes yes, not bible classes!
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here: SJC information
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Joseph%27s_College,_Hunters_Hill

      Delete
  5. I was raised in a religious home but I am not religious, so I don't follow the bible. But even during those years that I was taught about Christianity, I never took the bible literally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never liked the idea of being a sheep! I'm sure that I would have been burned at the stake way back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad pagans don't have a book to live their life by.

    ReplyDelete